ARRIVALS & DEPARTURES
Picnics After School Club recognises the importance of having robust systems in place to ensure the safe arrival and departure of the children in our care.
The manager will ensure that an accurate record is kept of all children in the Club, and that any arrivals or departures are recorded in the register. The register is kept in an accessible location on the premises at all times. In addition we conduct regular headcounts during the session.
Escorting children to the Club
- The Club and school have a clear agreement concerning the transfer of responsibility for children’s safety on arrival and departure of the school.
- We have risk assessed the route used to escort children to the Club and review it regularly.
- The school and the Club keep an identical register of children who require escorting between locations which is updated daily.
- The children should meet before they are escorted to the Club. They will not be allowed to make their own way to the club. Meeting points may be altered if the school and picnics club feel it is appropriate.
- Two – three members of staff will escort the children from school to the Club.
- If a child is booked into the Club but is not at the collection point, we will check whether the child was present at school that day. If the whereabouts of the child is not known, staff will immediately inform the designated contact at the school and ask the school to implement its Missing Child policy.
Our staff will greet each child warmly on their arrival at the Club and will record the child’s attendance in the daily register straightaway, including the time of arrival.
- Staff will ensure that parents or carers sign children out before they leave, including the time of collection.
- Children are collected by an adult who has been authorised to do so on their registration form.
- In exceptional circumstances, if the parent requires another person who is not listed on the registration form to collect their child, the child’s parents or carers must inform the Club in advance and provide a description of the person and a password that they will use. If the manager has any concerns regarding the person collecting he/she will contact the main parent or carer for confirmation.
- The parent or carer must notify the Club if they will be late collecting their child. If the Club is not informed, the Uncollected Children policy will be followed.
- No children will be allowed to leave the Club alone at the end of the session.
- If a child is going to be absent from a session, parents must notify the Club in advance.
- If a child is absent without explanation, staff will contact the parents or carers and the school to check where the child should be. If staff still have concerns about the child’s whereabouts after attempts to contact the parents and the school the manager will contact the police.
- The Club will try to discover the causes of prolonged and unexplained absences. Regular absences could indicate that a child or their family might need additional support.
This policy was adopted by Picnics After School Club.
Written in accordance with the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (2014): Safeguarding and Welfare Requirements: Safety and suitability of premises, environment and equipment [3.62, 3.64]; and Information and records [3.76]